![]() |
| 17 weeks! |
We are so thankful that we have been able to carry this new little one to 19 weeks already! The first trimester was crazy! We did so many crazy things like travel around the world with a toddler and move houses! Finally, I am now feeling more energetic and the yuckies are gone and baby is kicking every day, and night! We now have the blessing of a fetal doppler, so we can listen to baby's heartbeat at home whenever we want to! I haven't been to any official doctors yet, but I am in contact with a midwife, a doctor, a dietician, whenever I need expert advice.
Jonathan does have some inkling that something is going on. My lap is already starting to run out of room, and he will sometimes pat my tummy and say "baby." We are still nursing, but have been cutting down. Next week we are planning the big event: the final weaning from mommy milk. Pray for us!
Sadly, but not surprisingly, my gestational diabetes is back. I know I should be grateful that this condition, if controlled, will still result in a healthy baby. Also I should be grateful because it can usually be well controlled with only adjustments to diet and regular exercise. Actually, I am grateful. But I am also sad .....I love sugar and I love treats and I love simple carbohydrates. It is a hardship to give them up, even for just a few months! About 5 weeks ago, when a urinalysis revealed the return of GD, I went through a grumpy and confused couple of weeks. Grumpy because of sugar withdrawal (mostly an emotional problem). Confused because this is a rice country and a sugar loving one. It's been more challenging to figure out what I can safely and enjoyably eat. I lost a few pounds those first few weeks. It's also been more challenging to find the energy and opportunity to exercise with my toddler and the safety restrictions we now observe. Thankfully, I am now getting into a better eating routine, am gaining weight, and am slowly starting to get a little bit back in shape. Good thing, because my blood sugar monitor is telling me that my pregnancy induced insulin resistance is becoming more severe week by week!
Another subject on our minds is where to have the baby. I had originally planned on having the baby in the big city about an hour from here. However, based on my age, my history and my list of mild risk factors, at least one highly qualified doctor has recommended I deliver in Singapore or the USA. This would require about a 3-4 month absence from here, what with having to fly prior to 34 weeks gestation and having to wait for all of baby's paperwork to be complete before we come back. I'm in denial about this at the moment. The thought of having to go through that major transition again with Jonathan, and the expense.... it's overwhelming. We are considering options and seeing how the Lord will provide for us.... and probably won't make a final decision until October, when we go to Singapore for advanced testing on the baby and consult with the doctors there. We'd really appreciate your prayers for our peace of mind until God shows us the way, as we know He will!

No comments:
Post a Comment