
Peanut butter seems to be an essential food our family can't do without. It's just such an easy, hearty snack ingredient. Personally I (Jennifer) have never been a fan, but Dave loves to have peanut butter toast and I send a PB & J sandwich to school with him every day. Jonathan hasn't tasted any yet, as it's not recommended for babies, but I imagine it will be one of his favorites too.
There are some local peanut butters available cheaply -- they contain sugar, oil and mystery ingredients. I've chosen not to partake.
We can also get some very nice imported Skippy. It's about $4.50 for a small jar. Unfortunately it also has a lot of sugar in it. At that price I wanted an alternative!
Raw peanuts, however, are abundant here and very inexpensive at about $1 a pound.
So I purchased a Chinese meat grinder for $9 and we make our own peanut butter now! You can also make peanut butter with a blender, but it will probably break the blender in short time. (Yes, we use the meat grinder for meat, too -- but we bleach after every use.)
The result is not quite like that nice peanut butter I used to purchase at Andy's Market in College Place. It's not quite like Adam's either. It's kind of crumbly and hard to spread. I'm still perfecting the technique though. Dave thinks it's great!
No comments:
Post a Comment