(SPOILER ALERT: some complaining ahead)
Last week the baby gained a whole pound, but I did not gain anything!
The week previous to that, baby's weight was stable, but I had lost a couple of pounds from the last weighing in Java -- granted it was on a different scale.
Dr Irene has not even mentioned my weight, but is quite pleased with baby's progress.
I just don't think that's fair. I've only gained a whopping 15 pounds so far this pregnancy. I'm so hungry all the time but all I can eat are small low carb meals that don't satisfy. We're eating very simply here -- lots of PB&J, scrambled eggs, french toast, milk. It's a simple kitchen so I haven't been cooking a lot of meat. There are TONS of eating establishments across the street, but mostly exotic to us and very high carb. The other day we did get some take out -- the famous Hiannese chicken and rice. I thought maybe with my Metformin on board, perhaps I could handle it, and ate about 60% of the rice portion. It was delicious, but my blood sugar shot up to 158 -- almost 40 points above my limit. Anyhow, after the doctor's appointment this week, we went to the more expensive grocery store and I was happy to find some low sugar jam, genuine Adams peanut butter, and a few other expensive but diabetic friendly snacks. There is also a nice multi-grain bread here with a low glycemic index, so I've been taking advantage of that -- one slice at a time. I also am thankful for the good supply of Splenda and Stevia that the grandmas sent in October, so I can have sweetness in my tea and my decaf coffee.
My doctor would probably put me on insulin if I told her how I really am always hungry ....but I guess I'd rather stick it out on just the pills. At most it can only be another 3 weeks, right? Wouldn't it be a shocker if I went overdue! Then I'd be begging for insulin!
(OKAY, COMPLAINING NOW OFFICIALLY OVER. Sorry about that.)
I need to keep reminding myself that it's a wonderful thing this condition can be controlled by diet and still result in a very healthy baby! And to be thankful how God is shaping my character through this temporary trial.
Other news about the baby: He's doing well! At this time in my last 2 pregnancies, I was already effaced and partially dilated. Here in Singapore they don't do internal checks in the late trimester, so I don't know what's going on down there. The last ultrasound showed the head is low, but not quite engaged. I am
having some Braxton-Hicks contractions, but nothing to get excited about.
Nonetheless, our hospital bags are packed and we are praying that baby will arrive according to God's perfect timing! Last night Dave and I had a long talk about baby's name ...I think we are closer, but Dave is prayerfully checking into a few other options.
Oh yes, Happy New Year! It's not really on our radar this year, except I wonder how noisy it will be here later tonight? I think Chinese New Year (in late January) is the bigger holiday for the people here, so maybe we have nothing to worry about.
![]() |
| Learning to be happy and hungry at the same time! 37+ weeks |

Maybe you'll have a Chinese New Year baby! Woowoo! - Steph
ReplyDelete