Saturday, December 31, 2011

Singapore: Simple pleasures

Just to share some simple pleasures we have experienced this week.....

What can be more exciting that a genuine construction site, complete with a mini digger, practically right outside our front door?  Jonathan came home from his playtime this morning singing his first original made-up song ....."Digger time!  Digger time!  Baby digger, la, la, la!" 


We took a bus trip (plus a 20 minute walk) to the local library yesterday . It was SO NICE!  Jonathan and I read about ...diggers.  That's another thing I like about being here ....in the U.K and Australia and here, most construction machines are just called "diggers" so I don't have to keep straight the back-hoes, front end loaders, etc, etc.


Oh bliss, there is a small thrift shop in the market block across the street from us!  I stop in briefly every couple of days or so.  Most of the books are in Mandarin chinese, but I've found a few good butter knives, a nice crib toy, and a great pop-up playhouse for Jonathan!
For Dave, a great simple pleasure is simply being able to buy an English newspaper at the corner store and read it while sitting in front of a fan.  Ahhhhh!

1 comment:

  1. This post makes me laugh in so many ways! We got quizzed on back-hoe loaders just today during naptime stories! And how many times have I seen David sitting in front of a fan with a book trying to keep cool. :) We love you guys! Stay healthy and upbeat! Can't wait to hear when the little one arrives! - Steph

    ReplyDelete