Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Field trip -- 11th graders search for invertebrates

Dr. Livingston I presume?

For this blog post, we depart from family news to focus on what Dave has been doing at school.  Last month he took his students on a couple of field trips.  Field trips are hard to organize and a bit stressful along the way, but years later the students will remember it.  He's excited to be teaching Advanced Placement Environmental Science this year, a new class for him.   I (Jennifer) am signing off now and Dave is taking over the story....

My first field trip with Environmental Science was to a stream flowing through rice paddies.  Our goal was to find bugs and count them; which the students did with gusto.
In transit to the fieldtrip site
Most families here have a motorcycle instead of a car.  Here you see a whole line of them driving ahead of our bus.  The blue van is our town's answer to the public bus.  We normally ride these blue vans when we go shopping. 
Still in transit
Here you can clearly see the rise paddies above the stream we visited.  The students are carrying nets and buckets.

I'm doing my best to look like a true professor.  I don't think the students are fooled.
Caught one!
After catching our bugs we head back down the hill to our bus.  I must mention that it was a missionary kid who is auditing my class that found this stream for us.
And heading back to school now...


No comments:

Post a Comment